Is it worth keeping a discontinued DSLR?

I have a Nikon D80 and they've been discontinued.
Should I upgrade or keep using it?
Will Nikkor lenses still work with discontinued DSLRs?

Best Answer

Lenses will work with the D80. I would not make a move onto a new camera unless you see some gains that you like or want.

One basic example is that since the D80, Nikon has made some DSLRs since that do HD video and if that is of interest then you may want to research the D90 and the D5000.

Below are some links to websites where you can look up cameras, read reviews, see sample images and decide if you want to move onto a newer model, but if what you have is working well for you then you don't have to move to another model.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Answer by Mark on 09 Jan 2010 02:03:06

I still have and use two Konica-Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 7D's. Will I keep using them? You bet. Future lenses will still be usable. Colour rendition is better than the current crop of Sony cameras (the KM takeover people) and you'd be impressing me if you could tell me that more pixels means better images.
They're a little bit iffy on AF compared to modern cameras, and perhaps a little slow on continuous shooting modes. So what?

Your D80 will take photographs as well as you can direct it. For a long time yet.

Answer by Mick on 09 Jan 2010 02:16:44

I'm still using a Nikon N2000 I bought in 1986.A Nikon F3-HP I got in 1991. I use a camera until it can no longer be used. You don't need to upgrade unless there's a reason to do so.

Answer by Carl_the_Truth on 09 Jan 2010 02:17:14

Currently I have three cameras that have long since been discontinued which they work perfectly fine and I have no way that I would be able too afford to upgrade at this current time.

Answer by Dd D on 09 Jan 2010 02:29:12

Sure the D90 is a better cam, but replacing a camera just because it has been discontinued is a poor excuse. I still use my Nikon N90 from 1992 and my D40's been discontinued, but they are still capable of producing excellent quality images.

New Nikon lenses work fine on older cameras, and all new Nikkors will work fine on your D80. Generally with Nikon you're going to have to go back around 15 years before you're going to run into issues. For example new G lenses don't do P or S modes with cameras older than the F5. You need around 25 years before they fully break compatibility.(e.g. G lenses hardly work on manual focus cameras)

Answer by Pylon on 09 Jan 2010 03:03:46

Heck yeah you should keep it. The only reason to upgrade is if you shoot a lot of high ISO and want the cleaner images you can get with the D90 for example.

Just because it's not being made anymore doesn't mean that future lenses won't work. Canon, Sony, and Nikon don't change the mount, everything has to be backward compatible or there would be a giant $h!t storm.

Keep using it, learn every control, continue to become a better photographer with it. Only upgrade when it truly feels like the camera is holding you back in some meaningful way.

Answer by Sound Labs on 09 Jan 2010 07:41:03

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment