will photography equipment be cheap again like it was before digital came out?


No.

Answer by KNDChicago on 09 Jan 2010 10:07:41

Good quality photographic equipment has never been cheap. Taking inflation into account I'd recon that a cheap Digital Camera is about the same as a cheap film camera used to be!

Answer by Crim Liar on 09 Jan 2010 10:24:24
Best Answer

At the risk of sounding like I am just being a "kiss up," that is a great question and I marked it as interesting.

I am deeply bothered by this. I am a photography professor and the cost of a DSLR camera with a lens is at least $400 (more likely $450 or more) and most likely the student will still have to get a memory card and really should get another battery.

A traditional intro photo course, a student can buy a camera with a lens for anywhere from $80 to $200. Then get film, photo paper, negative sleeves and be making finished prints in the darkroom at a cost that is less than the cost of the DSLR camera.

Now, before anyone labels me anit-digital, let me say I am only "pro photography" and have my students interest in mind. I like both and think, for the moment, that at least starting traditional has some very strong merit.

I think the camera companies are enjoying a honeymoon period right now. I think they can easily make a DSLR with a lens for at least a bit under $400, and in fact think it is not insane that it could be done for $299 to $350. A basic DSLR, mega pixel can be low like a 6MP, and the camera can come with a inexpensive 50mm prime lens which I think can be made cheaper than a short zoom.

The lowering cost of new DSLR cameras will only help push down the used market prices with are a bit high. The market is out of touch with this matter to boot. I was a PMA Show (Photo Marketing Association) year before last in Las Vegas and was at the Sony booth expressing the cost concern and a very nice Sony sales rep stated "Oh the new (higher mega pixel) DSLR was affordable." I asked how much and the sale rep replied "$899." To them that was affordable?

Nikon and Canon are the big 2 who sway the market and the others are scared to get in a price war with them.

I can only hope that in time price will "crawl" toward a better price range, especially for the sake of my students.

Ok, rant off.

: )

My 2 cents.

Mark

Answer by Mark on 09 Jan 2010 10:26:49

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Post a Comment